When the weather is hot here in the midwest, you know it’s HOT and HUMID at Walt Disney World. Below are ten tips for beating the heat. The first five are places to avoid in peak sun hours. They’re perfectly fine places otherwise. The second five are places that make me go aaahhhhhh, I’m refreshed!!
Avoid the following during peak sun, but don’t forget to catch them earlier or later:
1. Standing in line outside the Universe of Energy at Epcot: Every now and then, cast members will hold a line outside the Universe of Energy. I’ve been in it during the middle of the day. You will note that there are mirrored pieces on the outside of the building. It feels like you’re an ant being fried with a magnifying glass!
2. Paddle boating at Port Orleans Riverside Resort: I made this mistake just on my last trip to Walt Disney World. I decided some exercise might be good. I also thought there would be a breeze. Add the life jacket and I was perspiring profusely!
3. In line at Jungle Cruise at Magic Kingdom: For some reason this line always seems to make me warm. I try to visit first thing in the morning now!
4. Anywhere at Disney’s Animal Kingdom: I don’t know if Imagineers were trying to duplicate the African weather as well, but this theme park seems to be warmer than every other one. I go early and then park hop!
5. World Showcase at Epcot, mid-afternoon in August: This was a mistake I made my first trip. Actually my boyfriend’s mother insisted on visiting every outdoor shop and kiosk. I just wanted to go back to the resort. Now I visit in the evening. It’s more fun at that time anyway.
Now if the heat’s just taken it all out of you but you’re not quite ready for a nap at the resort try the following.
1. Kali River Rapids at Disney’s Animal Kingdom: You WILL get WET!!!
2. Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom: This delightful attraction will put a smile on your face, have you humming zippity doo dah and feeling cool too!
3. Hall of Presidents at Magic Kingdom AKA the afternoon napping spot: I LOVE Hall of Presidents but when the heat has done it’s worst to you, you can get in with a relatively short wait and sit on nice chairs in the nice cool air conditioning. Aahhhhhhh…..
4. Universe of Energy, on the ride: If there is no line outside step into the dark preshow at Universe of Energy and ride the ride. Forty minutes later you’ll be as good as new!
5. The American Adventure at Epcot’s World Showcase: If your boyfriend’s mother insists on shopping at World Showcase, ditch her and watch the Voices of Liberty and The American Adventure. You will cool off and feel very patriotic!
Those are just a few of my favorite tips for beating the heat. There are many more but those are the biggies that I use every trip. Keep in mind that if you experience motion sickness, the heat and dehydration make you feel worse. So as my ex-boyfriend’s mother would say, "stay hydrated and wear your sunscreen".
Steph in nc
Great ideas Joanne! Thanks!
Universe of Energy is my favorite hot day napping spot!
Thanks for the great tips!